Constructed in 1840, this house is one of the oldest surviving Greek Revival houses in southeastern Alabama. It is significant enough that it was recorded during the Historic American Building Survey in 1935. Although it was last used as a funeral home, the house was originally constructed as a private residence for a physician and his family. Once married, the couple had eight children, tragically three of whom died young. The couple also raised his wife’s younger orphaned brother. His daughters all married wealthy men who later became district attorneys or state senators. One of his sons even served as an officer in the Civil War. In 1859, after the physician’s death, the house was inherited by one of his sons. A few years later, in 1862, tragedy struck the family after a member of the family known for sleepwalking fell from the balcony above the porch becoming paralyzed.
After the Civil War, the house was sold to a craftsman who operated a furniture store. Like the previous owner, a son inherited the home after his death. In the 1950s, the property sold to a family who renovated the house for use as a funeral home. They lived upstairs and operated the funeral business downstairs. When the owner died, the family decided to close the funeral business. His wife continued to live in the house until her death in 2004.
In 2017, a wind storm damaged the roof and broke several windows. The storm damage was exacerbated by Hurricane Michael in 2018. The house needs immediate repairs. A local preservation group is supporting the effort to restore the house. Since the storms, the city has made numerous attempts to contact the out-of-state owner. Even though the home was listed on the Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation’s 2019 Places in Peril list, the house continues to deteriorate.