Mental Asylum

In 1873, the General Assembly of the State of Tennessee realized the need for a hospital for the mentally ill. Although several sites were considered, the plan remained dormant. Twelve years later, in 1885, the plan to build a hospital was revised. A former plantation owned by General Calvin Jones was selected and purchased by the State of Tennessee. The 1,140 acre site would provide a quiet, relaxed setting in a country atmosphere.

Mental Asylum
Mental Asylum, circa 1900

The asylum was designed by the McDonald Brothers Architectural Firm of Louisville, Kentucky. It was modeled after the Kirkbride Plan. This was an architectural design meant to have a curative effect for the patients, which included open spaces and natural light. The facility officially opened on November 22, 1889. The hospital served 21 counties of Tennessee and accepted 156 patients from an overcrowded Nashville hospital upon opening.

Mental AsylumThe design consisted of a center section for administration with patient wings staggered on each side in the shape of a bat wing. Male and female patients resided on opposite sides and the more uncontrollable patients were typically placed in wards farthest away from the center administration section. The Mental Asylum would be the last state mental hospital to ever be built in Tennessee and it was also the least funded.

Mental Asylum
Today, the original Kirkbride building is used for administration offices. The patient wings were demolished in the 1980s.

The name of the hospital was changed in 1919. Four years later, the hospital began operating under the Department of Institutions and remained under their guidance until 1953. The institution’s patient population grew from a few hundred in the late 1890s to over 2,300 in the 1960s.

Mental AsylumThe hospital housed all types of individuals. Ranging from murderers and rapists, to people suffering from depression, and even some just considered promiscuous. During this time period, a lot of people were committed for legitimate and illegitimate mental conditions.

Mental Asylum
This building was opened in 1931 with eight wards. In 1942, an annex was added which created eight additional wards for women and children.

Patients were crowded into large dormitories with little privacy. With so few doctors and staff, patients became ‘warehoused’ for decades. Due to severe staff limitations, patients were fortunate to see a psychiatrist for 10 minutes a week. Treatments performed here included hydrotherapy, insulin shock therapy, lobotomies and electric shock therapy to name a few.

Mental Asylum

Mental AsylumThe system for securing financing for patient care limited the operating budget. State agencies agreed to only pay for one patient out of a population of one thousand. Hospital superintendents had to engage in deficit spending to keep the hospital operating.

Mental Asylum
Shelves of patient luggage remain inside the attic of the institution. Belongings would be confiscated upon arrival.

Mental Asylum

The institution once had a very unfortunate connection with Georgia Tann, who operated the Tennessee Children’s Home Society, an adoption agency in Memphis, Tennessee. Tann used the unlicensed orphanage as a front for her black market baby adoption scheme. Children born to patients at the Mental Asylum would be placed for adoption with a false background for as little as $7. Many children were sold to pedophiles or for slave labor. It is believed 5,000 families were displaced due to Tann’s adoption practices over 30 years.

Mental Asylum
Beulah “Georgia” Tann 1891-1950

Backed by local judges and politicians, Georgia Tann made millions from the 1920s to the 1949. Children at her orphanage were starved, beaten, and molested. During a four month span in 1945, 50 children died while in her care prompting an investigation by authorities. Not until her death in 1950, due to cancer, did the real story of her famous career come to light.

Mental Asylum

The most dangerous patients were housed in isolation rooms behind double doors.

Mental Asylum

Class action lawsuits during the 1970s exposed the poor living conditions and widespread abuse of patients institutionalized across the United States. The advent of modern psychotropic medications and outlawing unpaid patient labor helped dwindle the overcrowding. Newly developed antidepressants were used to treat depression and a few other disorders. New psychiatric medications made it more feasible to release people into the community.

Volunteers pose for a group photo in 1973.
Mental Asylum
A child restraint chair left behind in the Children’s Ward.
Mental Asylum
Jackets still hang on the wall.
Mental Asylum
A shattered Freddy Krueger Nightmare on Elm Street pinball machine in a day room.

Many early records of admission and death certificates have been lost. Patients that died at the asylum were buried in unmarked graves behind the facility. Today, the asylum maintains care of about 250 patients and has 700 employees.


15 Replies to “Mental Asylum”

  1. I was housed in the children ward at the time it was Timber Springs. I was placed in and out of this facility from 1992-1995. It is amazing to see what it looks like so many years later. During my stay at one point there was a boy of the age of 4 that was sent there. There are mNy sad stories from the years I was there.
    Thanks for the documentary

    Liked by 1 person

  2. I was hospitalized in this hospital in 1979. I was a volunteer patient I was bought there by three family members. While I was there a male patient climbed on the roof across the court yard and committed suicide. Patients in the sitting room could see could see him jump. what was so awful and eerie is that there was a gargoyle figurine very close to where he jumped jumped from,never L was well cared for. That place looked just like the pictures shown, and was as eerie then as it is now.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. Thank you. May have to visit Mexico for help, as US doens’t seem to have any places remaining for “walk in” admittance anymore.


  3. My great grandmother died at Western State Hospital in Bolivar, Tennessee in 1935. She died of a heart attack, but suffered from Manic Depression psychosis for at least 25 years (this information was on her death certificate. She resided there for almost 20 years until her death. It makes me so sad to think of her being there for so long, and then dying there. The family took her body and buried her in a different cemetery. She was 82 when she died.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: