The former United States Post Office and Courthouse was designed as a civil defense fallout shelter. The original building was constructed in 1911, which consisted of one-story and a basement made of steel and concrete. In 1936, a second floor and two two-story wings were added. The old post office has 16-foot ceilings. The door facings, wainscoting and stairs are made of Georgia marble. The facility was in use until the Postal Service constructed a new facility and moved in 1975. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. In recent years, the building housed an antique market and was also used as an event venue. The former courthouse was sold to developer in 2019. After sitting abandoned for three years, the building is currently undergoing a renovation.