Methodism first came to Alabama as early as 1803. In 1844, the Methodist Episcopal Church split into the Methodist Episcopal Church, South over the issue of slavery. In 1878, a small study group gathered in Birmingham to worship together with the aim of establishing the community’s first church. The church would be named Methodist Episcopal Church, South. By the end of the 1800s, there were at least 11 churches established in Birmingham. The congregation was able to move into their new church by 1904.
In 1939, the separate Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South and the Methodist Protestant Church joined to form what was then known as the Methodist Church. The “Episcopal” and “South” were removed from the name. The Methodist Church was then subdivided into jurisdictions that were further subdivided into conferences. Known officially as Annual Conferences, they were simply the annual gathering of all the congregations within their respective geographical area.
By the 1970s, the Methodist Church had been through a name change, as the Methodist Churches of America became The United Methodist Church when they united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUBC) in 1968. The merger had the practical effect of ending segregation nationally within the denomination, as Alabama faced the challenge of merging historically black congregations with historically white ones. In 1974, the North Birmingham congregation merged with another Methodist congregation about 10 miles north. The following year, the church property was shuttered and sold. The Methodist Church has been left vacant since 1975.