Methodism first came to Alabama as early as 1803. In 1844, the Methodist Episcopal Church divided over the issue of slavery. In 1878, a small study group gathered in Birmingham to worship together to establish the community’s first church. The church would be named Methodist Episcopal Church, South. By the end of the 1800s, there were at least 11 Methodist churches established in Birmingham.
In 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and the Methodist Protestant Church joined together to form what was then known as the Methodist Church, dropping the “Episcopal” and “South” from the name.
The Methodist Churches of America became The United Methodist Church when they united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUBC) in 1968. The merger had the practical effect of ending segregation nationally within the denomination. Alabama faced the challenge of merging historically black congregations with traditionally white ones. In 1974, the Methodist church congregation joined with another Methodist church in a newer building. The following year, the church was shuttered and sold. The property has sat abandoned since 1975.