This former state prison, built in 1950, was converted into a male state prison in 1978 after being transferred to the Department of Corrections and used as a state prison until closing in 2011. The prison housed 600 medium and minimum security inmates. Most of the prisoners were elderly or disabled who were sentenced to spend their remaining years behind bars. A majority of these inmates were confined to wheelchairs or beds and suffering from health issues.
Inmates with a high-security level were assigned jobs inside the state prison. Low and medium security inmates were assigned to outside work details. Each inmate was allowed one hour of yard time each day. Younger inmates who were able-bodied, several dozen in total; were housed in a separate modular building on the prison grounds. These inmates worked to maintain the prison inside and out, helping with tasks such as changing light bulbs, cleaning floors, and preparing meals in the kitchen.
In 1963, the hospital built this church with donations. The church was used as the prison chapel after the Department of Corrections took over. The inmates at the state prison were housed in eight dormitories averaging 65 beds per dorm.